How to Fix Pop-Ups and Home Page Issues in Google Chrome
If you’re having trouble with pop-ups, apps or extensions changing your settings without your knowledge, there is an easy fix: Reset Chrome settings to default. Your saved bookmarks and passwords won’t be cleared or changed as long as you follow these steps.
1). On your computer, open Chrome .
2). At the top right, click More Settings.
3). At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Chromebook, Linux, and Mac: Under “Reset Settings,” click Restore settings to their original defaults Reset Settings.
- Windows: Under “Reset and cleanup,” click Reset Settings Reset Settings.
These steps won’t provide a full reset. For example, some settings like fonts or accessibility won’t be deleted. To create a new user profile, add a new user in Chrome.
What changes when you restore your settings
On your Chrome profile, the following settings will change to the default on all devices where you’re signed in:
- Default search engine, which is changed back to Google. Learn how to set your default search engine.
- Homepage and tabs. Learn how to set your Chrome homepage and set default startup tabs.
- The new tab page. Learn how to set the page that a new tab opens to.
- Tabs you have pinned. Learn how to pin tabs.
- Content settings, like letting a site show you pop-ups or use your microphone. Learn how to change your content settings.
- Cookies and site data, like items in an online shopping cart. Learn more about cookies and site data.
- Extensions and themes. Learn more about extensions and themes.
Thanks to Bryan Roemke (EVSC Technical Support) for suggesting this resource.
Questions / Comments
If you have questions or comments related to this tutorial, please send us a message using the comment section below.