The Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation believes that in order for students to positively contribute to a 21st century global society, they must be globally aware, civically engaged, and capable of managing their lives. In this society, students also will need to be able to thoughtfully use information, media, and technology in order to succeed. The EVSC provides technology resources with these goals for its students in mind.
The EVSC believes the educational advantages of using technology outweigh the potential for misuse. The EVSC has established safeguards to ensure the protection of staff and students. These safeguards ensure the benefits of technology, protect the corporation’s investment in hardware and software, and help to prevent misuse. Technology allows EVSC users to access and utilize global resources, communicate and collaborate with other individuals/groups for educational purposes, and significantly expand access to digital curriculum and research.
The provisions of this policy and associated guidelines and agreements are in addition to the requirements of applicable school rules and state and federal law. The EVSC has the duty to investigate any suspected violations.
Disclaimer concerning use of online services
The EVSC, its employees and agents, make no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, concerning the online access it is providing. Furthermore, the EVSC will not be responsible for:
- Any damages suffered by a user, including but not limited to loss of data resulting from delays or interruptions in service, or computer “viruses;”
- The accuracy, nature, or quality of information saved on storage devices, hard drives or servers provided by the EVSC;
- The accuracy, nature, or quality of information gathered through online access provided by the EVSC;
- Personal property used to access computers, networks or the online access provided by the EVSC;
- Unauthorized financial obligations of a student, or his or her parent or guardian, resulting from the online access provided by the EVSC.
- Students shall have no expectation of privacy when using district e-mail or other official communication systems. Any email or computer application or information in district computers or computer systems is subject to monitoring by the administration.
- EVSC owned devices that are reported to the school or district as stolen are subject to verification of internal network information including locating the device using IP addresses, GPS location services and screenshots.
The EVSC subscribes to a filtering service in order to prevent access to websites EVSC deems inappropriate. Although a conscious effort is made to prevent access to materials that are inappropriate for the educational setting, no safeguard is foolproof. The user is responsible for not seeking or initiating access to inappropriate or blocked material and for reporting incidents should they occur.
Standards for Responsible Use of Technology
Technology users have the same responsibilities while using devices or connections that are expected in any other school activity. Responsible use of technology is ethical, academically honest, respectful of the rights of others, consistent with the EVSC’s mission, and is expected to be adhered to during normal school hours and after school, off school grounds. The following expectations are intended to clarify the proper conduct, but should not be construed as all-inclusive.
I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AS A MEMBER OF THE EVSC COMMUNITY TO DEMONSTRATE LEGAL AND ETHICAL BEHAVIOR IN MY USE OF TECHNOLOGY.
- In all my online communications (this includes, but is not limited to email, chat, instant- messaging, texting, gaming and social networking site profiles and connections), I will be respectful and polite.
- I will not cyberbully or intentionally hurt or embarrass another person or group with my technology use.
- Should I become aware of cyberbullying taking place, I will notify a counselor, teacher or administrator immediately.
- I will use suitable language free of profanity, vulgarity, sexually oriented or other inappropriate language.
- My authorized customization of EVSC devices (wallpaper and other system enhancements) and profile data (username, images, etc.) will reflect school expectations for appropriateness, and I will immediately remove anything that school leadership deems inappropriate.
- I understand that prohibited online activities may be illegal and subject to criminal prosecution.
- Except for “educational fair use” as defined by a teacher, I will not copy, save or re-distribute copyrighted material (files, music, software, etc.).
- I will not search for, download or distribute any material that is obscene, sexually explicit or pornographic. If these materials are downloaded accidentally, the user will immediately report the incident to an appropriate school district official. This disclosure may serve as a defense against an allegation that the user intentionally violated EVSC policy.
- I will not vandalize, damage, disable or “hack” the files of others. Creation of a “virus” is considered vandalism.
- I will not log on or attempt to log on to the network using another person or group’s name and password or misuse a name or password.
- I will not install or use any Internet-based file sharing tools. I understand that file sharing programs and protocols are explicitly prohibited.
- I will not disable or circumvent the content filter.
I WILL PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF MY DATA, PERSONAL PRIVACY, AND PROPERTY RIGHTS AND THAT OF ANYONE ELSE WHEN USING TECHNOLOGY. I WILL DO THIS BY:
Keeping my personally identifying information private. This includes my password(s), personal address and phone number, and that of anyone else, private.
- Securing permission before sharing or posting online any personally identifying information (email addresses, photos, audio recordings, videos, etc.) about any members of the EVSC.
- Being sure to use the network correctly. Incorrect use of the network causes disruptions for other users.
- Assuming that all communications, programs, and information which are accessible online are private property. As such, I will not download any files without prior authorization.
- Uploading or downloading only software I am sure is free from any computer virus.
- Refraining from installing or uninstalling any software or apps to EVSC devices without prior approval from the Chief Technology Officer.
- Restarting my EVSC device daily at school so that operating system and application updates, which are run from a central location, remain current.
MY USE OF PERSONAL DEVICES AND EVSC TECHNOLOGY WILL BE WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF IMPROVING INSTRUCTION AND LEARNING.
- I will have teacher permission before playing games; instant-messaging; and accessing music, videos, or social media sites.
- I will back-up necessary data that is not stored on the cloud.
- I will report any technical support issues to my school tech support person.
- I will not use EVSC technology resources to purchase any goods or services.
- I will meet expectations outlined in administrative guidelines for all EVSC provided technology.
The COVID 19 pandemic may require the EVSC to alter or amend these rules. Notice of any such changes will be separately provided.